CipherShed Licensing Information
One of the CipherShed project goals is to transition to an OSI-approved license. The exact license is to be determined, but the GPL and BSD family of licenses are being considered. This is a long-term future goal, as it involves replacing the code almost entirely. We are looking into linking with LGPL libraries and using algorithms in the public domain.
Summary of the current license
Our codebase is currently governed by the TrueCrypt License Version 3.0. The full text of the license can be found in the License.txt file on our GitHub repository. In order to comply with the terms of the license, the following declarations must be followed in CipherShed.
All references/occurrences to "TrueCrypt" must be removed, including both text and images.
- The following phrases must be removed (except from the License)
"A TrueCrypt Foundation Release"
"Released by TrueCrypt Foundation"
"This is a TrueCrypt Foundation release."
- The phrase below must be displayed in the software and contained in the documentation.
"Based on TrueCrypt, freely available at http://www.truecrypt.org/"
- The complete source code must be freely and publicly available.
The terms of the TrueCrypt license cannot be changed in any way (including adding new terms).
- All existing legal notices in the source code files must be kept intact.
- In every copy of a new product, the following must be included:
A clear notice stating that the new product is governed by the TrueCrypt License Version 3.0
- A verbatim copy of the license
- A clear notice about where the above included copy can be found
- An appropriate copyright notice